Counseling Psychology and Special Education

Counseling Psychology and Special Education

Department of Counseling Psychology and Special Education
Department Information: 
340 MCKB
Advisement Center: 
350 MCKB

Admission to Degree Program

Students must apply to the Counseling Psychology and Special Education Department for admission to the Special Education undergraduate degree. Information can be found online at and applicants can apply online at See additional information below.

General Information

Admission to BS Programs

Among other factors, the application review process involves consideration of the following:

  • Earn a minimum 3.0 total high school or college GPA (whichever is most recent) 
  • Complete and pass a BCA/FBI fingerprint background check (Contact Education Advisement Center for instructions)
  • Complete the Technology Skills Assessment (TSA)
  • Meet the Educator Preparation Program (EPP) requirements
  • Complete the following prerequisites with a C grade or above: 
    • Mild/Moderate Disabilities Emphasis:
      • CPSE 203, CPSE 425, MthEd 305
    • Severe Disabilities Emphasis:
      • CPSE 203, CPSE 425, MthEd 305
  • Successfully pass one of the following basic skills tests (minimum scores listed):

Additional Licensing Requirements

As well as state requirements, teacher candidates must complete the following before they can be recommended for graduation and Utah licensure:

To confirm their graduation status, teacher candidates should contact Education Advisement Center

Graduation Requirements

To receive a BYU bachelor's degree a student must complete, in addition to all requirements for a specific major, the following university requirements:

  • The University Core, consisting of requirements in general and religious education. (For a complete listing of courses that meet university core requirements, see here.)
  • At least 30 credit hours must be earned in residence on the BYU campus in Provo as an admitted day student
  • A minimum of 120 credit hours
  • A cumulative GPA of at least 2.0
  • Be in good standing with the Honor Code Office

Students should see their college advisement center for help or information concerning the undergraduate programs.

Graduate Programs Available

This department also offers graduate degree programs. For more information, see Graduate Studies.